Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dear Beck,

It was good to hear your voice on the phone yesterday. I've been thinking about your parenting dilemma and it reminded me of the latest quote I posted in my kitchen. Patricia Holland says "Every child has to practice on his mother, and in a more important way, every mother has to practice on her child. I mentioned earlier that we all come into the world crying. Considering all the humbling purposes of life, perhaps it is understandable that we will continue to shed a tear or two from time to time."

As I stood outside Nick's classroom door looking in, a mother standing next to me said that her oldest daughter had started High School that morning. "I don't even have crow's feet yet and my daughter's in High School!" she said as the tears began. I looked to the sides of her watery blue eyes. Sure enough, no crow's feet.

Before I went to bed last night I dug deep into the back of the bathroom drawer, behind the floss, behind hair clips from the 90's and found the eye creme I had purchased for your wedding. There was only a drop left, enough for one eye. I rubbed it in slowly, wondering if I would cry the day my oldest starts High School.

So anyway Beck, I just wanted you to know that I'm here. We can cry together when times call for it.

And remember, practice makes perfect. Don't give up.

1 comment:

Becky W. said...

How did you do it? It feels like these days will last forever - that Caroline will forever be two and a half. I love you. Thanks for being my sister and such a great listener.

BTW, I didn't know you bought eye creme for my wedding. It's lasted for four years? :)