Thursday, August 27, 2009

Note to future self:

I know when she's leaving on her first date you'll be asking yourself why you didn't spend more time with her. When she finds her friends presence preferable to yours you'll feel you wasted the precious few moments that you were the world to her.

When those times come I want you to remember something . . .

This morning you chose to forgo personal study time, exercise and an early shower because she had climbed into bed with you, made your head her pillow and fallen back into a sound sleep. You stayed like that, listening to her slow, even breathing, feeling her warm cheek pressed against yours. She was clutching one of your shirts in her arms. She tells you daily that it smells so good, just like you.

She asked for a cheese quesadilla for breakfast so you started up another burner and placed another pan next to the one you were stirring scrambled eggs in.

When you were working on the computer she wanted to dance, so you danced and danced and danced. You twirled and dipped and sat on the ottoman and clapped.

You noticed her darling legs and kissed her tiny lips approximately 406 times a day. You froze in place when you'd hear her singing one of her fabulous made up songs and you'd listen to the lyrics, really listen to them. You willed yourself to remember the smell of her hair, the softness of her neck, her dainty hands, her painted toenails.

You gave her everything you had, every moment you could. You appreciated her smallness, her beauty, her bright mind and the funny things she'd say. You had a million magical moments with perfect little her.


Remember
and be happy.

9 comments:

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

I still wonder why time needs to fly by so fast with our little ones??

londa said...

So sweet, Made me remember when my big kids were little..miss that. Kids are great! They help me become a better person and recognize why I am here and my purpose.

Kim said...

So sweet. Love little girls!

Jess said...

Oh Jodi... How true these words are. You have touched me again by your thoughts and I am so grateful for you and your example of motherhood. You inspire me.

Becky W. said...

I often think of Allie's "smallness." She's like a miniature. A precious little miniature of a young woman.

Anonymous said...

(tears)

B

Sara Ancich said...

i needed that wake up call. thank you.

Me said...

I just found your blog and love it! Thank you for your inspiration~

emily ruth said...

sometimes i get so down on myself for all of the things i'm not doing good enough for them...thanks for reminding me to notice & remember some of the things i have done...

:)

(found you through emilie ahern)