Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Small things can make a big impact . . . take the world's smallest spoon for instance:


My sweetheart met a little Japanese lady while working at the temple downtown. They became fast friends and much to our delight she extended an invitation to dinner.

Saturday evening found us winding our way through the avenues in search of her home with Brandon patiently coaching me on the pronunciation of her lovely name. We were met at the door by a petite, beaming, bundle of energy donning a heather grey t-shirt and what appeared to be plaid pajama bottoms. I loved her instantly.

We sat at a small table in her living room closed in on all sides by towering piles of books, photographs and eclectic, eye catching memorabilia. I exclaimed happily over the beautiful, dainty dishes she served us on,
especially enamored by a teeny tiny serving spoon used for the spicy hot wasabi. (Apparently I've never outgrown my little girl love of all things miniature.)

After we'd filled ourselves to satisfaction with her splendid sushi and engaging stories the evening reluctantly began to wind down. As our host walked us to the door she carefully handed us a take-out container full of sushi rolls "for our midnight snack"

and next to the sushi rolls
was the teeny, tiny wooden spoon . . .


She makes me want to be better.


Do you know people like that -
that make you feel like instant family?
Sometimes I like to picture a world
filled to the brim with them

and their tiny spoons.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

What a beautiful woman. I'd love a world full of people like her!

Jess said...

It sounds heavenly. And I'd have to agree, everything tastes better on those tiny little spoons.

I know quite a few women in my life that amaze me each day and lift my spirits and help me be a better person just for being in their presence. I am so lucky to have the friends I do and live where I live. Sometimes I think maybe I ought to go buy a tiny spoon and pass it out to my friends too. :)