Thursday, May 5, 2011

It got me to thinking . . .


He ran for Student Council yesterday. He didn't make it. A handful of his friends admittedly told him they hadn't voted for him . . . because they didn't want him to miss any recess time next year due to Student Council duties. They love their time with him too much.

I thought about myself and wondered if I've ever hesitated to cheer someone on because of my own self interests. How often have I, as an adult, presumed to know someone else's dreams better than they knew them themselves? It drew me back to the quote I keep on the sidebar of this blog:

"The best compliment to a child or a friend is the feeling you give him that he has been set free to make his own inquiries, to come to conclusions that are right for him, wether or not they coincide with your own."

Alistair Cooke


What an effective mother, wife, friend, sister, daughter and neighbor I'd be.

No comments: