Monday, September 16, 2013

The results:

A person would need a medical degree to understand everything she was saying.  While my brain strained wildly to understand the foreign language she was speaking I did manage to scribble down a few notes:

abnormal
metabolic geneticist
fast tracked
low dopamine
Dystonia
low neopterin
low 5 . . . .
Ataxia
neurotransmitter defects
brain not functioning properly
2 abnormalities
2 pathways
complicated
may be treatable
medication
side effects
is not curative
"I'm sorry"

Sadness welcomed me back like a long lost friend and the next day anger willingly took its place.  I remember the steps: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance.  That's what the therapist said we could expect when Nick was first diagnosed with Autism.  She also said these feelings would continue to show up randomly as time went on.  Darn her for being so right.


But I've taken a few other mental notes:

God
love
atonement
support system
medical insurance
good doctors
strength
priesthood
eternal perspective
faith 
hope
humor




We've got what it takes to do this.

3 comments:

Timo said...

We love sweet Nick, and your family, and are always cheering for all of you! Wish we lived closer.

little red hen said...

Inspiring Jodi! Thanks. Its interesting how we all deal with something in life, I read thru this list and could pick out several that I've been told about people I love. You are just very open and honest and that is how it should be. Otherwise no one knows how or why to support. Thankful Nick has you for a momma.

Kim said...

Now you know. You may or may not do anything differently but you will love him all the same. Our kids have a never-ending list of "issues" but also have a never-ending capacity to love.