Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pink Peonies

It was grey and rainy outside adding to the grey mood of the day. As I slowly maneuvered my way like a fish swimming upstream to the checkout stand a bunch of bright pink peonies caught my eye. I quickly turned my compact car sized cart around adding even more chaos to the procession of hurried shoppers. The little round shape of the flowers looked so odd amidst the elegant red roses and dainty gerber daisies, it almost looked as though they were holding their breath, waiting for something. A small smile broke through as I carefully perched the bunch aloft a swaying tower of rice milk, strawberries and fresh tortillas.

I used to watch my great aunt Sarah in amusement as her aged, work worn hands carefully clipped off the prettiest peonies of the bunch. She would place them in large tomato juice cans that she had meticulously covered in foil and then watched with eagle eyes as my father would find a safe place for them in the trunk. I always sat next to her in the back seat where she'd pat my hand as my parents drove us to the other side of town where her loved ones were buried.

As I grew older my sweetheart and I would visit aunt Sarah each Monday. We listened to stories, sang songs, played games and drank old fashioned hot chocolate from dainty tea cups covered in roses. Sarah had a hard life full of heartbreak and disappointment yet her very being was so happy and full of joy that I constantly longed for her company.


Oh how I miss Sarah and her chronically positive outlook on life.
Thank goodness for pink peonies on rainy days,

7 comments:

Mel P. said...

I loved and admired your Aunt Sarah. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

Those are one of my favorites too.

Mary Ann said...

Yes. Yes. And remember the 'beauty bushes'? Those long stems of little pink petals that seemed almost to disintegrate before we got them to the car?

And was it always the children's job to find water for the big tomato juice cans? Thank you for taking me back to her house. I can almost smell the cedar in the guest room.

Jessica said...

I feel so lucky to be one of the next generation that remembers Aunt Sarah. What an awesome lady. We made rhubarb pie over memorial day weekend and it got my Mom telling Aunt Sarah stories.

Anonymous said...

beautiful words

B

Anonymous said...

You need to be a poet. I love the way you express your feelings on words. What a wonderful talent.

gina said...

Have you seen the little house in the old part of our city that has a huge garden full of nothing but the most meticulously manicured peonies? It is beautiful!

I am sure a sweet little elderly couple waits anxiously all winter long for the days when they can play in the soil of their prized peonies.